1882 – The first US Navy steel warships (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago and Dolphin), were authorized by Congress, beginning the “New Navy.” Subsequently known as the A, B, C, D ships, they were built at Chester, Pennsylvania. Dolphin was commissioned first in 1885, followed by Atlanta (1886), Boston (1887), and Chicago (1889). Note: all four ships were designed with the ability to rig sails on the mast as a backup propulsion system. Along with the additional steel warship USS Yorktown, the ships were established as the “Squadron of Evolution,” operating in the Atlantic and Mediterranean through the early 1890s.
Update to 5 August